How to apply step by step
If you have chosen Latvia as your study destination, before applying you are adviced to check general entrance requirements binding on all higher education institutions in Latvia. There are also institution-specific entrance requirements which are set by the universities. Therefore always before applying please check specific entrance requirements at the website of the chosen university.
In order to apply for studies in Latvia, please follow these 7 simple steps that will help you manage your application. Please be aware that Study in Latvia does not administer application and following admission process, it is managed by universities.
STEP 1. FIND YOUR STUDY PROGRAMME
- Find a study programme and choose a university or vice versa.
- Check if you qualify. Read general entrance requirements and check specific entrance requirements set by the chosen university.
- Choose the intake. Spring intake usually starts in November and runs until December with studies starting in February. Autumn intake usually starts in March and is open until July or August with studies starting in September. Be aware that intake deadlines may be set earlier depending on your citizenship.
- Ask if you have questions. Contact international office of the chosen university or Study in Latvia if you have additional questions.
STEP 2. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- Collect all documents. Prepare full package of necessary documents (usually copy of passport or ID, copies of education documents, English proficiency certificate, etc. but the package may vary in different universities).
- Provide translations and digital copies. If documents are not in English, provide certified translations. Additional rules may apply depending on the country where educational documents are issued. Make sure that all the documents are scanned or photographed fully in a good quality.
- Process your application. Fill in the application form and send application documents to the university's international admissions office or upload online according to the admission procedure in the chosen university.
- Prepare for payment. Application fee may be charged by the university, and it is not refundable. There are also universities which do not require any registration fee.
STEP 3. WAIT FOR RECOGNITION OF YOUR DOCUMENTS
Documents are sent for verification. The university initiates the process of recognition of your education documents which are sent to an independent institution for academic verification. During academic recognition your qualification is compared to education system of Latvia, and it is clarified whether you are capable of continuing studies in the chosen programme and study level.
Wait for recognition of diploma. The time necessary for a recognition conclusion is approximately 1 month, but sometimes it may take longer because the process depends on the country where educational documents are issued.
STEP 4. PREPARE FOR ENTRANCE EXAMS AND INTERVIEW
- Prepare for exams. The university sets exams or other entry regulations accordingly to the chosen study programme. For some universities there are no entrance exams and your secondary school marks in compulsory subjects will determine your option to get a study place or not.
- Get ready for an online interview. Prepare yourself to a real time online interview organized by the university in which you present your motivation and language skills. Be aware that some universities may organise face-to-face interview or schedule interviews only with prospective students in Master's study programmes.
- Receive an official letter of study place offer. If the recognition conclusion of your educational documents allows you to start studies in Latvia, the university takes a decision about the offer of study place taking into account other entry regulations or results of exams. The decision is issued in the form of an official letter offering you the study place or rejecting it.
STEP 5. RECEIVE YOUR STUDY AGREEMENT AND PAY TUITION FEE
- Receive a study agreement. The university sends a study agreement and you sign the agreement before the arrival if the document is necessary for the immigration procedures or during the first week in Latvia. It may vary in each university.
- Pay 1st semester or year tuition fee. Some universities may ask for a security deposit and other applicable payments.
STEP 6. MANAGE YOUR VISA OR RESIDENCE PERMIT
- Get an invitation number for visa or residence permit. The university informs you about visa and residence permit application process, prepares an invitation and sends you the invitation number to apply for a visa or a residence permit.
- Get ready all documents for application. Collect all the necessary documents for a visa or residence permit. Regulations may vary depending on your country of residence. It may also differ for Master’s and PhD students.
- Apply for a visa or residence permit. Documents should be submitted only at the Embassy of Latvia in your country of residence. If the Embassy of Latvia is not situated in your country, contact the university for further information on the embassy that would be handling your application.
- Prepare for an interview at embassy. Attend an interview at the embassy and wait for the decision and document in order to enter Latvia.
STEP 7. COME TO LATVIA
- Plan your travel. Manage your arrival date with the chosen university, pack your bags and buy a travel ticket. You are welcome in Latvia!