How to apply step by step
If you have chosen Latvia as your study destination, before applying you are adviced to check general entrance requirements binding on all higher education institutions in Latvia. These requirements include attested certificate or qualification, recognition of diploma and sufficient English. Useful information before applying also may be the list of approximate tuition fees and options of Latvian state scholarships.
There are also institution-specific entrance requirements which can be set by the universities. Therefore always before applying please check specific entrance requirements at the website of the chosen university.
In order to apply for studies in Latvia, follow 5 simple steps that will help you manage your application.
STEP 1. FIND YOUR STUDY PROGRAMME
- Find a study programme and choose a university or vice versa.
- Visit the website of the chosen University and check specific entrance requirements and application deadlines set by the University, deadlines can depend on your citizenship.
- Contact international office of the chosen University or Study in Latvia if you have additional questions.
STEP 2. SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- Acquire all necessary documents for full application package and have all educational documents and transcripts of records certified. If documents are not in English, you should provide certified translations. Additional rules may apply depending on the country where educational documents are issued.
- Send application documents to the University's international admissions office or upload online, this process may vary from university to university. Be aware that application fee may be charged in some universities and Study in Latvia does not administer application and following admission process.
- The University initiates the process of recognition of your education documents - your qualification is compared to education system of Latvia. The time necessary for a recognition conclusion is approximately 1 month, but it may take longer depending on the country where educational documents are issued.
STEP 3. PREPARE FOR ENTRANCE EXAMS AND INTERVIEW
- The university sets exams or other entry regulations accordingly to the chosen study programme. For some universities there are no entrance exams and your secondary school marks in compulsory subjects will determine your option to get a study place or not.
English language knowledge should correspond IELTS 5.5-6.5, TOEFL (PBT) 500-550 or TOEFL (IBT) 70-90.
- Mostly the score should be equal or higher than CEFR standard B2 (Upper-Intermediate English).
- The specific score of English proficiency depends on the University and study level. For Bachelor's programmes it can be lower than for Master's programmes.
- If you have obtained previous education in English, in some universities a letter of proof is accepted instead of international test results.
- In some cases university may set individual English language online exam.
- The University organises a Skype interview with you, but some universities organise an online interview only with prospective students in Master's study programmes.
STEP 4. SIGN YOUR STUDY AGREEMENT
- If the recognition conclusion of your educational documents allows you to start studies in Latvia, the university takes a decision about the offer of study place taking into account other entry regulations. The decision is issued in the form of an official letter offering you the study place or rejecting it.
- You pay 1st semester or year tuition fee. Some universities may ask for a security deposit and other applicable payments.
- The University sends a study agreement and you sign the agreement before the arrival if the document is necessary for the immigration procedures or during the first week in Latvia. It may vary in each university.
- The University informs you about visa or residence permit application process.
STEP 5. MANAGE YOUR VISA OR RESIDENCE PERMIT
- The University prepares an invitation and sends you the invitation number to apply for a visa or a residence permit. Please ask for the University's assistance regarding the documents to be submitted for this process.
- You submit the necessary documents for a visa or a residence permit at the Embassy of Latvia. Regulations may vary for Master’s and PhD students. They may also vary depending on the students' country of residence.
- Documents for a visa or a residence permit should be submitted only at the Embassy of Latvia in your country of residence. If the Embassy of Latvia is not situated in your country, contact the university for further information on the embassy that would be handling your visa or residence permit application.