The admission process for the Autumn 2021 intake at Latvian higher education institutions (HEI) has been opened and will continue until July or August, but some HEI have early admission deadlines this Spring.
High quality study programmes
Study in Latvia invites you to choose studies at one of the 18 Latvian higher education institutions and 100 study programmes, which have been selected based on a set of quality criteria defined by the Ministry of Education and Science of Latvia.
You can browse the list of programmes and search for a specific programme in the StudyinLatvia.lv database or click on the links below to go directly to the desired level of studies:
- Bachelor (undergraduate) study programmes
- Master (postgraduate) study programmes
- Doctoral study programmes
Deadlines in summer
The deadlines for the autumn admission may vary from university to university. They are from the end of April at some business schools until the end of May, June or July, start of August or mid-August at other universities. Pay attention that some HEI have early admission deadlines with discounts for study fees.
The exact application deadlines depend on the chosen university, its profile, and the citizenship of the prospective student.
University entry requirements
There are some general entry requirements binding to all higher education institutions in Latvia and some institution-specific requirements, for instance, previous marks in academic transcripts, entrance exams or tests, and online interviews. The general requirements are:
- Completed previous education: secondary or high school diploma and academic transcript for the Bachelor level (undergraduate) study programmes or higher education diploma and academic transcript for the Master level (postgraduate) study programmes or Doctoral studies.
- Recognition of diploma: students should be aware that the admission office of the chosen university will send their education documents to the Latvian Academic Centre for the academic recognition and authenticity verification.
- Proof of the study language proficiency: all students applying for studies in Latvia need to demonstrate sufficient study language proficiency which is mostly English. The level of knowledge must be equal to or higher than B2 level. Last summer changes have been made to the admission requirements regarding the proof of the language proficiency. It can be provided in different ways depending on:
- the country, where the previous education has been obtained;
- the language of instruction in previous educational institution if it is the same as the study language.
Detailed information about the entry requirements can be found here.
To apply for the studies in Latvia, students can follow simple steps summarized by Study in Latvia that will help to manage the application to the universities of Latvia. These admission steps are explained here.
As Study in Latvia does not administer the application process and it is managed by individual universities, it is always advisable to contact the chosen university before application to get detailed information.
Start of studies and arrival
The state of emergency in Latvia has been extended until 6 April. The Covid-19 situation has affected both the opening of campuses in Latvia and the student residence permit and visa procedures. It has also been affected the work of the embassies of Latvia, which are providing services remotely or in person depending on the epidemiological situation in the respective country. The latest information regarding the Covid-19 situation can be found here and here.
However, many universities in Latvia, similarly to other countries, are planning to offer alternative ways to new students to start their studies if the Covid-19 situation will restrict their arrival in Latvia in September when most of the study programmes begin. Students are advised to contact the Admissions Office of the chosen Latvian university for more detailed information on the available options for starting their studies online or postponing the start of the studies.